Friday, July 18, 2008

The three B's and no I don't mean Blankenships

So I hope this finds you and your families doing exceptionally well as for Dylan and I we are constantly staying busy, meeting new friends, and continuing to have the times of our lives.

I am assuming the title of this has created quite a taste of curiosity. Always remember it killed the cat. hahahaha. Just kidding. So on to the the three B's.

I have been begging Dylan to go with me to get a new bike so I can ride around and such. Well I did!! This bike is the most unique thing we had ever seen. It folds up into the size of a suitcase yet I doubt it would fit inside of one being that it is bulky and all. But it did fit inside of a trunk of a taxi with no problems at all. Dylan took some pictures of me riding around on it and a few of my friends did too so be on the look out for those pics. So I am now a free person who can ride around wherever I choose to including to work everyday. This past week my thighs have toned up considerably which is good. Last night one of the teachers and I tried to ride around like they do here with one driving it and one sitting on the little rack you tie things to. Really funny but I think my bike was missing the element of having a motor for it did not turn out well in the end and thankfully we were only going about 12 feet away from where we were to begin with. Another bike story...funny....so the day before yesterday I do my thing wake up get ready blah blah and then take my bike with me out to the elevator and ride down. Well as I get into the elevator I noticed my front wheel looks a little flat and then when I pressed it, it was and I could not ride my bike to work that morning. UGHHH! So I hit the next floor and got off and dropped it off. Later on that day I went to this man who is outside with whom I assume is either is wife, girlfriend or sister. You really can't tell especially if you cannot speak the language that well to begin with. So the man takes off the outer part of the tire and fixes the inner part which looks like an inner tube. It was fascinating to watch him fix it. The "sand" it down with this weird looking tool, put what looked like a patch on the whole and filled it back up with air again. All for 3 RMB which is about 50 cents US. I tried to offer him more but he refused and shoved it back. So I was happy again and rode around till my legs got tired.

Next B story . . . So the same day we bought my bike, I bought a bra. Yes I finally found one that did not have as much stuffing as a good year blimp. Evidently FYI women here are as flat as walls no lie. And all their bras have tons and tons of stuffing in them. I am not a fan and in my situation I believe I don't really need the extra padding. This style of bras had made it nearly impossible to find one A. in my size and B. without the padding. So we finally found one and I was too excited about it. The lady says to me "What size you are?" and I am looking at the bra sizes saying "I don't have a clue." So she proceeds to measure me (deja vu from getting measured for my dresses). Then she finds me my bra in my size which was in a drawer and not with the others. Sad huh?? The sales lady proceeds to show me the fitting room which is long and narrow. Not one I have seen before. She shuts the door behind her and I am thinking maybe she is just trying to help me by putting the bras up on the hook and such. Then she starts helping me out of my shirt and I am like "Oh so you are going to help me?" Dylan said he could hear the whole conversation and thought it was too funny. Then I am standing there topless with the sales lady feeling just a bit vulnerable and then she helps me into the bra but it didn't stop there. She reaches down into the bra and "moves me" if you get my drift to situate me so that it looks right. I was thinking this is the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced...someone watching me undress (could handle to an extent) then helps me into a bra, and then moves my stuff around to situate it. So that is the Bra story.

Onto the third and final B story . . . the Bank! Since yesterday was the last and final day of summer school we got paid. It was nice too (for China) and I was paid in US dollars. I am walking around with a big hunk of one hundred dollar bills in my pants pocket and calling Dylan to get his secretary to meet me to set up a bank account. No way was I exchanging all that money for who knows how much and storing it who knows where. So Crystal, Dylan's wonderful and sweet secretary goes with me to the bank more specifically The Bank of China. When you go inside you first fill out the forms. Thankfully they had a few without the Chinese characters on them and were in English. If not that's what Crystal was for. So we fill out the work and stand in line. Now I am not a fan to begin with standing in line but it wasn't so bad until towards the end. The bank closes at 5 PM so they had two little tellers open when we started the line and then when it was our turn the man who was one of the two tellers decides it is quitting time for him and puts up his little sign that says "Service Paused". Crystal tries to see if he will budge but he didn't as I thought and he starts counting his money. There are other bank tellers walking around the place yet none seem to want to work. So now there is this huge line behind us partly due to pay day because it was Friday and only one teller. She was forever slow. I kept thinking how funny is this....this would so not fly in the US. The manager would be using all of the tellers (all three of them) and making sure everyone got as much as they could done before quitting time. It reminded me of our Wal Marts back in the states. Not exactly sure where and what your Wal Marts are like, but the ones in Suwanee and Buford Georgia have over 30 check out lanes with tons of check yourself out lanes too. However, as many as they have they are never truly filled up in fact there are usually 5 or so that are actually open and forget going to the self check out lanes they are either broken or someone who doesn't understand how to use them with two grocery carts full of stuff to the brim. Well same situation but one teller with a huge line behind. The guard told the majority of the people to go home. Awful!!! However, I now officially have a bank account with an ATM card and it won't charge me an arm and a leg to get money out now. YEAH!!!!

By the way....Dylan and I are getting ready to leave for Thailand in about 8 days. We leave on July 27 and come back on Aug 3. The main purpose of this trip is doing what Dylan did with his passport to get his working visa. So we are mailing my passport and documents back to the states from Thailand stay there while they process the visa and mail it back to me. The other purpose is that we need a vacation. A friend of ours who is from the US lives here in China and has his own company (well I should say companies) and also has a house in Thailand as well. He usually rents it out but not in the summer time as much as in the winter when people are trying to get away from the cold. The flights are extremely cheap from Hong Kong airport so that's a plus and things we have been told are relatively cheap there too like food and trinkets and such.

So that's all for now. As stated before I hope your loved ones are doing well and family members I love you all!!!

Amanda and Dylan Blankenship :)

No comments: