Monday, June 16, 2008

First day on the job . . . . OMG

Hey everyone . . . .

Hope you are all doing well as usual. We are doing well. I started my summer school job today. Thank God I get out of the house and work...maybe. Let's just say things are same and things are different between our school and the school I am at. For starters, my class has 21+ students. Yeah I got a big class for summer school. About 65 percent I would say are Korean. Same as Suwanee right?? I have another teacher who pulls the lowest English speaking students for about an hour during the day which is nice. That leaves me around 13-15 students which is manageable.

So this is how a typical day for summer school goes. School starts at 9:00 so you get to work at 8:30ish or whenever you can grab a coffee and a cab. So you go to the gym hold up a sign that says "7 Yr Old". Talk to a few parents (broken English is a given even with the Caucasian parents). Then you lead the students to the classroom around the corner. Seat them and start the day. We have Language Arts for an hour. Actually we do whole group with all the kids 21+ for 30 minutes (yeah thats like . . . ."uuhhhhh time"). OK so then we break up and then I have my group and the other teacher takes hers. Then we do small Literacy groups for 30 minutes, Math for 30 minutes, go to either Art or Music, then lunch time, then recess, and then library time. Then its dismissal. Yeah thats my day for you.

Not too bad huh? The kids though most are sweet and then you have some who are unruly and spoiled to the bone. It was shocking how they back talked to me and thought it was acceptable and then when they were around their parents they were equally awful if not worse. So thankfully I have a light load as far as teaching but I make up for it in the many children who are nuts. Of course this is first day jitters so hopefully when we split the kids up things might settle down a bit.

Dylan is getting ready to leave for Hong Kong for visa purposes. Fingers crossed and prayers asked he can process it there and not have to go back to the US. If it works for him I am going next to do it. Hopefully all will work out and we can get them processed finally. Its crazy how tight and stingy they are getting here about Chinese work visas. Now you have to be born before 1983 to be considered an expert in a field. Thankfully we both are old farts and can be considered experts.

Best to you all.....
Amanda and Dylan

1 comment:

JasonJ said...

Nice blog -- I found it via Facebook. What an adventure. My wife and I lived in Germany for 2 years, but this China-thing is at whole other level.... I'll check back regularly.